About Sandoz Farm
Sandoz Farm is located on Mill Creek Road just out of The Dalles. It is a family-owned operation that has been in existence since 1880. The first generation came to The Dalles and settled on the farm in 1878 and bought it in 1880. The Sandoz family has been running the farm ever since. The Sandoz brothers, Arnold, Charles, and Alphonse settled on growing vegetables on the creek bottom ground and a few fruit trees and grapes on the side hills in 1880. Fruit and vegetables were packed up at production time and hauled into town and sold door to door in those early years. It was a beautiful piece of ground that reminded them of their homeland and the production provided a fine living for them and their families.
As the years passed younger generations changed the focus from garden vegetables to fruit production. Cherries became a great product, and there were peaches, apricots, and apple orchards to extend the summer crops. People would come to the farm for these great fruits. The years passed, and with time the cherry production became a larger enterprise and the gardens become smaller, just enough for the families' needs.